7 Best Roof Top Tents of 2021
Overlanding is booming in popularity and your dream of owning a roof top tent is now more feasible than ever. A few years ago, there were hardly any roof top tent brands. However, today, there are so many RTT brands out there that it is a challenge to choose the right one.
When it comes to roof top tents, We understand there is no one size fits all as there are so many different types and sizes. We are here to be your trusted advisor and help you find the best roof top tent for your needs and budget. Simply put, you won’t get this level of honesty or expertise anywhere else.
In this guide, we will walk you through your top options to consider and you can call, email, and chat with us if you have any questions throughout the process.
Top Roof Top Tents of 2021
| At a Glance
Best Overall Rated
Take your overlanding adventures to a whole another level with the Nomadic 3 Roof Top Tent. The value it provides for the price is unbeatable!Learn More
Best Hard Shell RTT
With a premium build and some great luxury features, Odyssey is the best of the best hard shell roof top tent. This tent is every hardcore overlander's dream.Learn More
Best Cheap/Affordable RTT
Save some money without compromising on quality with the OVS TMBK 3. A fantastic roof top tent at a mind-blowing price!Learn More
Table of Contents
(Click the link to jump ahead)
Best Overall Value / Best 3 Person Roof Top Tent
Overland Vehicle Systems Nomadic 3 Roof Top Tent
Nomadic 3 Person Roof Top Tent provides the most value for the price
The features and value the Nomadic 3 Roof Top Tent provides are unbeatable. It is the first tent we suggest to all our customers who are looking for a spacious roof top tent with premium features at a reasonable price point.
Big enough to sleep 3 people comfortabbly, the body of the Nomadic 3 is designed to handle the harshest of weather conditions you can put yourself in.
It also comes with a premium quality rainfly to make sure the water won't get inside your tent during heavy rainfall.
And to help you get a good night's sleep during your overlanding trips, Nomadic 3 comes with a built-in 3" thick premium mattress.
Plus, a skylight window is built into the roof which makes the tent more magical at night. With these features combined with a few others, you will sleep like a baby when you are camping in this tent.
Another awesome thing about Nomadic 3 is that it is super easy to install on your vehicle, Unlike some roof top tents -- it won't require any drilling or modifications to your vehicle!
For the price point, OVS Nomadic 3 is the best value roof top tent on the market today.
- Lots of premium features for the price
- Designed to be durable and handle harsh weather conditions
- Premium Mattress makes it very comfortable to sleep in
- Large enough to sleep 3 people
- Comes with a 4-year limited warranty
- The total weight of the Nomadic 3 is 165 lbs, Small cars might not be able to handle it.
Best Hard Shell Roof Top Tent
Freespirit Recreation Odyssey Hard Shell Roof Top Tent
FSR Odyssey is the best hard shell roof top tent out there
Freespsirit Recreation Odyssey is like the Rolls Royce of hard shell roof top tents. You will feel the luxury of this tent as soon as you mount it on your vehicle.
From its 15 seconds setup to unique 7" low profile design, Odyssey comes with features that you won't find in any other hard shell roof top tent on the market today.
The body of the Odyssey is made with FSR's popular tri-layer body technology. This will not only protect from you harsh weather conditions but also keep you warm during cold nights and warm during hot summer days. It basically acts as a heater in winter and an AC in winter!
As for the sleeping capacity, Odyssey comes in 2 different sizes. The smaller size can accommodate 2 people whereas the larger size can sleep 3 people comfortabbly.
Also, Both sizes come with an Optional Rack System which allows you to mount gear on top of it.
- It's very low profile and aerodynamic
- Tri-Layer Body provides all-weather protection
- Setup and Takedown takes less than 15-20 seconds
- Optional Rack System allows you to mount gear like bikes, kayaks on top of it
- The wide window provides you with a 170-degree view
- There are most definitely cheaper options (but you won’t get as much value)
Best Cheap / Affordable Roof Top Tent
Overland Vehicle Systems TMBK Roof Top Tent
OVS TMBK 3 is the best cheap roof top tent
Talk about bang for a buck!! Priced at just around $1000, TMBK 3 is an absolute beast for the price point. Yes, there are roof top tents cheaper than $1000 but none of them are as durable and well-built as TMBK 3.
We probably can't stress this enough -- this tent is the epitome of the idiom "Bang for the Buck".
Believe it or not, TMBK is big enough to sleep 3 people. That's one feature you will never find at this price point.
It also comes with a 2.5" thick foam mattress which is quite comfortable to sleep on (It's not of premium quality but for this price point it is more than what you pay for).
The body of the TMBK is made with high-quality waterproof material and comes with a rainfly on top. Even though it is not built to handle extreme weather conditions, This body design should be more than enough to keep you safe on most of your adventures.
To put it simply, TMBK 3 is the best affordable roof top tent for people who are on a tight budget.
- Great features at a very affordable price point
- Made with High-Quality materials to make the tent very durable
- Extremely lightweight (Weighs about 108 lbs)
- Big enough to sleep 3 people
- If you are planning on going to places with extreme weather conditions then this tent is not for you.
- Takes about 5-10 minutes to set up and take down.
Best 2 Person Roof Top Tent
Overland Vehicle Systems Nomadic 2 Roof Top Tent
OVS Nomadic 2 is without a doubt the best 2 person roof top tent out there.
Compact, lightweight, and well-built -- Nomadic 2 is the smallest roof top tent in Nomadic Series by Overland Vehicle Systems. It is made with similar materials as the Nomadic 3 and is designed to handle rough weather conditions.
While it can sleep 2 people, It also has an option for you to add an annex in case you are looking for extra sleeping space.
Plus, Nomadic 2 is very easy to install and is designed to fit on most aftermarket and factory roof racks. For the price, this is without a doubt the best 2 person roof top tent out there.
- Compact and Lightweight, yet 2 people can sleep comfortabbly
- Very easy to install on your vehicle
- Option to add an annex
- Full ventilation inside the tent at all times
- While most 2 person roof top tents have a weight capacity of 750 lbs, Nomadic 2 has a weight capacity of 650 lbs (100 lbs less).
Best 4 Person Roof Top Tent
Overland Vehicle System Nomadic 4 Roof Top Tent
Nomadic 4 is the most popular 4 person roof top tent
Yep! We have another roof top tent from the Nomadic Series. This time it's the big brother of the Nomadic 3 and the Nomadic 2 roof top tent.
With a sleeping capacity of 4 people, Nomadic 4 is one of the best roof top tent on the market today that is perfect for small families.
As for the features and design, It's pretty much the same as Nomadic 2 & 3 except for the mattress.
Nomadic 4 comes with a large high-density foam mattress that is super cozy to sleep on. Also, Like the other Nomadic tents -- Nomadic 4 is also designed for extreme weather conditions.
- Large tent with a sleeping capacity of 4 people
- Made for all four-seasons
- Built-in Skylight Window
- 4 Years Limited Warranty
- Weighs about 183 lbs. Which can be a bit too heavy for non-offroad vehicles.
Best 5 Person Roof Top Tent
FSR High Country 80" Premium Roof Top Tent
No roof top tent is larger than the FSR High Country 80"
With a sleeping capacity of 5 people, High Country 80" Premium Roof Top Tent is made with premium quality materials and is the biggest RTT on the market today.
There are lots of roof top tents that say they can accommodate 5 people but none of them are as comfortable and spacious as the High Country 80".
One really cool thing about the High Country 80" is that it offers an amazing 360-degree view of your surroundings when all 4 windows are opened.
Plus, Like the Odyssey, High Country 80" also comes with tri-layer body technology. No matter which weather you camp in, this tent is designed to keep you comfortable.
As this tent is large, one would think it's not easy/fast to set up and open but that's not the case at all!
The unique design of the High Country makes it super easy and fast to set up and take down. The whole process won't take more than 60 seconds.
To quickly summarise, If you are looking for a true 5 person roof top tent that is going to last for a lifetime then this is the perfect choice for you.
- Extreme weather protection
- 360 Degree view of your surroundings
- Sleeps 5 people comfortabbly
- Made with premium materials
- Very easy to set up and take down
- Weighs 182 lbs and won't fit mid-size SUV's and small cars
Best Electric Roof Top Tent
Bundutec BunduTop Roof Top Tent
BunduTop is the only electric roof top tent out there
With a complete electrical operation system, the BunduTop roof top tent is one of its kind.
Believe it or not, You can open and close this at a push of a button! When it comes to ease of use, Bundutop beats all other roof top tents.
Another feature that really sets apart BunduTop from its competition is the inbuilt solar wiring.
All BunduTop tents come with solar wiring to make it easy to install your solar panels. This is a feature you won't find in any other RTT on the market today.
As for the sleeping capacity, BunduTop comes in 3 different sizes: The standard size can sleep 2 people whereas the King size can sleep 3 people.
The largest size, Super King is big enough to accommodate anywhere up to 4 people.
- You can open and close the tent with a push of a button
- Available in multiple sizes
- 360-degree view
- Shade awning around all four sides of the tent
- Inbuilt solar wiring makes it very easy to install solar panels
- Very heavy and won't fit small cars
- Too expensive compared to other roof top tents
How do I choose the right roof top tent?
Choosing the right roof top tent for you comes down to a few important pieces.
- Size - How many people do you often camp with?
- Durability - Is the tent durable enough to handle rough use and bad weather conditions?
- Price - Does it meet your budget?
- Vehicle Load Capacity - Can your vehicle handle the weight of your roof top tent?
We hope you found this list helpful as you research the roof top tent that is right for you. And if you still have questions or need advice - please call or email us any time! We will be more than happy to help you buy the right roof top tent for your next journey.